Monday 3 November 2014

Pick Up and Go Again

Welcome to the week and to November. Let’s have some obligatory “hasn’t the weather been nice?” chat, which will guarantee that today is a wet freezing mess when I question everything about riding bikes. I didn’t even ride any at the weekend, although I did wash one, which is almost as fun, right?

It’s a mixed bag today, starting with an odd article I found in the Standard about how it’s now apparently ok to turn up to meetings in bike gear. I would say that, however much that sounds great and would save me time changing or buying shirts, it is not in fact ok. I would imagine you will be regarded in the same manner as the slightly odd guy you know works in a digital development team and only wears free tee shirts and shorts if you were to start doing this. I mean, if that’s what you’re aiming for then go ahead but I have yet to see anyone pull off a lycra look in a business environment, however casual your office might be. Top tip there for recent graduates and the unemployed in terms of work-wear. I do like it when this blog is a public service.

I’m unsure how to effectively link these next two bits, without running the risk of it seeming insensitive somehow, but let’s just go for it.

Danny MacAskill’s Drop and Roll tour is a fully developed showcase and touring, as you can see in this video:


From the world of trials demonstrations Martyn Ashton has also written an inspiring blog on the Animal site about his first year dealing with the life-changing injury he sustained during a show last year. It’s perhaps a rare, honest and thoughtful look at how someone who had a life built around bikes and being active has to adjust to the restrictions he now has on his body and find ways to get back the feelings he could get from his sport. It shows the determination and strength it takes to cope with such a huge injury and I absolutely hope to see him riding bikes in some way on the trails again as he clearly wants to.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment