Monday 16 February 2015

Clay All The Way

Some rides are tough. I don’t mean in a big mountain way, but just a bit of a grind.

I set out to find an all-weather route yesterday, highly optimistically, given the weather and the month. It didn’t start well with traffic all diverted onto the road I wanted as the North Circular was closed. I plodded through and arrived late to start the ride on some decent tracks as planned.

This went well for a while and I cruised along on semi surfaced tracks until the mud caught up with me. Soon I was ploughing through claggy muddy fields which clogged the wheels within seconds. This meant clearing the wheels every few minutes and at times trying to carry the bike through the fields, with the added weight of half the field attached to the bike.


It’s hard to tell if I enjoyed the ride. I did at times and discovered new paths that will be fun in the summer but were an utter slog in these conditions.


On the positive side I raced a sunset to the car, actually met the landowner of a footpath I’d been sneakily using and was told to go right on riding it, and got to ride past here.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment